Web Desk: Pakistan’s southwestern Balochistan province have imposed emergency restrictions for one month under Section 144, banning public gatherings and introducing tighter security measures amid growing concerns over militancy and unrest.
According to an official notification issued on Sunday, the provincial government prohibited rallies, sit-ins and processions involving five or more people across the province with immediate effect. Officials said the measures were aimed at maintaining public order and strengthening security.
The restrictions also include a ban on displaying or carrying weapons, riding motorcycles with two passengers, using vehicles with tinted windows and operating unregistered motorcycles or vehicles.
In addition, authorities barred people from covering their faces in public spaces through masks, mufflers or any other item that could obstruct identification.
Officials warned that strict legal action would be taken against anyone violating the orders during the 30-day period.
Meanwhile, Special Assistant to the Home Department Babar Khan Yousafzai said security forces had been placed on high alert following the announcement.
He said authorities were prepared to respond forcefully to any attempted attacks by militant groups. Pakistani officials use the term “Fitna-al-Khawarij” for outlawed Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan militants, while “Fitna-al-Hindustan” refers to separatist militant groups operating in Balochistan.
The latest measures come amid a rise in security incidents in the province.
Earlier this week, five soldiers, including a major, were killed during a military sanitisation operation in Barkhan district, according to security officials.
Separately, in April, unidentified gunmen killed nine workers at a copper and gold mining project in Chagai district, underscoring persistent security challenges in the resource-rich province.
Read more: New facility introduced for low electricity consumers