A US court has rejected the Trump administration’s policy of suspending immigrant visa processing for 75 countries, including Pakistan, Bangladesh, Iran and Russia.
New York District Judge Janet Vargas struck down the Trump administration’s visa policy on Friday.
During the hearing, the judge said the visa policy exceeded Secretary of State Marco Rubio’s legal authority. She said the State Department’s visa policy, introduced in January, was clearly unlawful and conflicted with federal immigration law.
The US judge issued the ruling in a lawsuit filed by immigrant rights organizations.
The US State Department has not yet commented on the court’s decision.
It should be noted that US immigrant visa processing for citizens of 75 countries had been suspended since January.
The US State Department had said that citizens of the countries included in the policy could become a public charge in the United States.
President Donald Trump has adopted a broad immigration crackdown since coming to power, arguing that tougher immigration measures are necessary to strengthen US national security and protect domestic interests.
It is wort noting that the administration has been accused of violating due process and free-speech protections and creating an increasingly hostile environment for immigrants and ethnic minorities.
The present court ruling is another legal setback for the administration’s immigration policies and could help resume the path for immigrant visa applicants from Pakistan and the other affected countries, subject to any further court proceedings or appeals.
Also Read: Pakistanis get exemption from new US visa bond rule