Loading weather…

UN offers aid to Pakistan, India after deadly floods

⏱ 2 minute read
UN offers aid to Pakistan, India after deadly floods

WEBDESK: United Nations (UN) Secretary-General António Guterres has expressed deep sorrow over the recent floods in Pakistan and India. He offered UN support to both countries as they struggle with the disaster caused by heavy monsoon rains.

In a statement released in New York by his spokesperson, Stéphane Dujarric, Guterres said he was “deeply saddened by the loss of lives in the floods.” He extended condolences to the victims’ families and expressed solidarity with those affected.

The UN chief confirmed that international teams are on standby in both countries. They will work with local governments to support relief operations. Pakistan and India are currently facing severe monsoon flooding and landslides.

Floods In Khyber Pakhtunkhwa

In Pakistan, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa has been the most affected province. At least 323 people have died and 156 have been injured so far, according to the Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA).

The victims include 273 men, 29 women and 21 children. Among the injured are 123 men, 23 women and 10 children. The district of Buner has recorded the highest toll, with 209 confirmed deaths. Other affected districts include Swat, Bajaur, Torghar, Mansehra, Shangla and Battagram.

The PDMA reported that 336 houses were damaged. Of these, 106 were completely destroyed while 230 were partially damaged.

On the orders of the Chief Minister of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, 89 trucks carrying relief supplies have been sent to the flood-hit districts. The aid includes tents, bedding, kitchen sets, tarpaulins, mosquito nets, mats and generators.

The provincial government has released 800 million rupees in relief funds for the affected districts. An additional 500 million rupees has been allocated specifically for Buner.

More Monsoon Rains Expected Across Pakistan

The Meteorological Department has warned of further heavy monsoon spells. It predicted that the next major spell will arrive between 17 and 19 August and could last until 21 August. The intensity of rainfall may be up to 50 per cent higher than earlier spells.

Northern areas and the Potohar region are most at risk. Rawalpindi, Murree, Jhelum, Chakwal and Attock could face cloudbursts, while Lahore and other major cities face the threat of urban flooding.

Read more: Peshawar floods: Army steps up relief, rescue operations in flood-hit KP, GB

Posts List

Sindh CM thanks Pak army for support, preparedness amid floods

SUKKUR: Chief Minister (CM) Sindh, Syed Murad Ali Shah, thanked the military for their support…

August 31, 2025

Marka-e-Haq Monument construction begins in Islamabad

ISLAMABAD: To pay tribute to Pakistan’s historic success against India in Bunyanum Marsoos, the construction…

August 31, 2025

Chenab in extremely high flood at Trimmu, Jhang

LAHORE: As water recede in several areas of Punjab, a flow of around 3,61,000 cusecs…

August 31, 2025

Not a single allegation of corruption against my govt, says PM Shehbaz

Prime Minister (PM) Shehbaz Sharif on Sunday addressed students at Tianjin University, one of the…

August 31, 2025
Scroll to Top