Loading weather…

Chenab in extremely high flood at Trimmu, Jhang

⏱ 4 minute read

LAHORE: As water recede in several areas of Punjab, a flow of around 3,61,000 cusecs is passing through in the Chenab river in Jhang creating a highly critical situation.

The Director General Provincial Disaster Management Authority of Punjab Irfan Ali Kathia said a potentially dangerous situation can develop at Head Islam within next few hours as the flow has exceeded one hundred thousand cusec at Head Sulaimanki.

He further said that the River Ravi had already experienced a discharge of two hundred twenty thousand cusec, while at Head Balloki, two hundred eleven thousand cusec were recorded, with an additional twenty thousand cusec from Nankana Sahib.

As per details, the death toll in torrential rains in Punjab has climbed to 33, as floods continue to wreak havoc in several districts of the province.

DG PDMA Irfan Ali Kathia said that nearly 2,200 villages have been affected and over 700,000 people face evacuation.

He stated that water levels at the Sutlej River near Kasur have started to recede as a flow of 135,000 cusecs is expected to reach Pakpattan, Bahawalnagar, and Vehari by tomorrow.

Villagers in surrounding areas are continuing to evacuate, while the floodwaters are passing through Bahawalnagar and Bahawalpur.

The DG PDMA further said a potentially dangerous situation can develop at Head Islam within next few hours as the flow has exceeded one hundred thousand cusec at Head Sulaimanki.

He further said that the River Ravi had already experienced a discharge of two hundred twenty thousand cusec, while at Head Balloki, two hundred eleven thousand cusec were recorded, with an additional twenty thousand cusec from Nankana Sahib.

The Director General said that this combined flow would culminate in seven hundred thousand cusec at Head Muhammadwala near Multan, where breaching may become necessary to manage the massive water pressure.

On the other hand, schools in flood-hit areas of Pakpattan have been closed indefinitely from September 1 on the DC’s orders to ensure student safety. Authorities say classes will resume once conditions improve.

The district administration has decided to keep educational institutions in flood-affected areas closed due to the prevailing situation.

On the instructions of Deputy Commissioner Pakpattan, the Education Department issued an official notification stating that 12 schools in the tehsil will remain closed from September 1 until further notice.

The deputy commissioner explained that the step was taken to protect the lives of students and teachers, as several areas remain under threat due to floodwaters. He said safeguarding the lives and property of citizens is the administration’s top priority, and no risk can be taken with students’ safety.

According to the Education Department, a list of affected schools has been shared with the relevant authorities, while parents have been urged to fully comply with the decision. The administration added that schools will reopen as soon as the situation improves to ensure continuity of education.

Previously, the district administration had ordered the closure of all schools in Sialkot on August 29 and 30 because of severe flooding.

Meanwhile, life in rural areas has been paralysed by floodwaters, with educational activities badly disrupted in many villages.

Local residents stressed that the government must take immediate steps for the cleaning and rehabilitation of damaged schools so that children can resume their studies quickly.

Experts noted that while the closure of schools is a necessary short-term measure. The administration also needs an emergency plan for the long-term protection and recovery of educational institutions.

It is worth mentioning here that a powerful flood wave in the Chenab River caused widespread destruction after hitting Sialkot, Wazirabad and Chiniot.

Rescue officials said that 135 villages in Jhang are underwater, with many residents trapped inside their homes. Rescue teams are working to evacuate them.

Traffic on Sargodha Road has been badly disrupted as two to three feet of water has submerged the route.

According to the irrigation department, a flood wave carrying one million cusecs of water is expected to pass through Multan by this evening.

Low-lying areas are likely to be severely affected. Heavy rainfall in Gujranwala, Wazirabad and Chiniot has worsened the flooding, destroying crops spread over hundreds of acres.

The situation in Multan has also turned serious as floodwaters entered farmlands in Shujabad tehsil, leaving 140 villages submerged.

In Muzaffargarh, authorities have warned of a very high flood in the Chenab River. Thousands of acres of fish farms are at risk of being washed away, prompting farmers to start emptying their ponds to reduce losses.

Internet services stayed suspended in many flood-hit areas of Punjab on Saturday, making communication difficult and slowing.

Read more: Severe flooding in Chenab River, situation worsens in Jhang, Multan: 275 villages submerged

Posts List

PM Shehbaz meets President Erdogan in China

Prime Minister (PM) Shehbaz Sharif has met Turkish President Erdogan in China today (Sunday).

August 31, 2025

Sindh CM thanks Pak army for support, preparedness amid floods

SUKKUR: Chief Minister (CM) Sindh, Syed Murad Ali Shah, thanked the military for their support…

August 31, 2025

Marka-e-Haq Monument construction begins in Islamabad

ISLAMABAD: To pay tribute to Pakistan’s historic success against India in Bunyanum Marsoos, the construction…

August 31, 2025

Chenab in extremely high flood at Trimmu, Jhang

LAHORE: As water recede in several areas of Punjab, a flow of around 3,61,000 cusecs…

August 31, 2025
Scroll to Top